Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Toddler Tuesday

It has been sometime since I have done a Toddler Tuesday. Sometimes I try to give Little Fish his own Montessori-type, practical life activities, and sometimes I try to just include him in whatever I'm doing with Beeper. I've been trying to include occasional comments in my regular posts about juggling the three boys in case that may help someone (and some days it really is like juggling - back and forth, back and forth, back and forth).

There is certainly a difference being a second child. I happened to start this blog when Beeper was the age Little Fish is now. I was looking through those old posts last week, and I found myself thinking many times, "I was doing that with a two-year-old?" Beeper was (is) definitely gifted, but I think in my over-enthusiastic, hyper-focusing way I tried to push him too much. I guess it didn't do too much damage, as he is a pretty good learner now, and those three years of experimenting certainly did me some good.

Sorry for the meandering reflections. Back to Little Fish. He tends to love the few activities I do give him, and even though he is not doing a lot of what Beeper was doing at that age, he is doing things Beeper wasn't doing.


I made this lacing snake for Beeper when he was two, and he didn't want anything to do with it. Little Fish loves it. (idea came from Montessori Mama)


Here he is untying the bows on a dressing frame. He saw me getting a shoelace tying lesson together for Beeper, and he wanted to do it too, so I gave him this to do. He did it many times.


They have both loved dropping toothpicks into a cheese shaker. (idea originally from Chasing Cheerios)

He has shown a lot of interest in matching lately, so I'll be putting more of those kind of activities together for him. He also has an interest in pouring. Unfortunately, since he doesn't have Mommy's full attention, I am not usually right there to see when the activity starts disintegrating, so I can't properly swoop in and divert his attention before he ends up making a big mess. I also haven't been able to teach him good cleaning up habits.

Still, he may end up being more of a Montessori kid than Beeper was. Having less push from Mommy will probably help too. I guess there are both pros and cons to that.

2 comments:

The girl who painted trees said...

It was so neat to read your post because I can relate. I see the same differences in Bear and J-jo when I go back through my blog and see what I was having Bear do! I just let J-jo be, so much more than I let Bear be, but Bear is doing her catch-up time now, because she gets to play with J-jo a lot. I've let up a lot and switched to reading more play based blogs. She still loves learning, but shies away from anything that looks like formal school now and I cringe to think that I may have done that. Even though I never pushed her to do anything she didn't want to do, I probably should have let her just play with dolls or something rather than talk so much about letters and numbers and such things:) J-jo on the other hand, doesn't let me:) He walks away:) Although recently he has been showing so much more interest. Anyway, glad you posted this.

Evenspor said...

Exactly. I have come to the conclusion that while it is sometimes possible to teach things early, it works out just as well to wait until they're ready to take off on their own, and it's so much easier.

At the same time Little Fish wants to do more, because he wants to do what his brother is doing.

Something did click this year, though, and Beeper likes school time now, except for reading and math lessons. We do still have them occassionally, but I try to keep them few, short and fun. He is good at math, but he doesn't like it. He wants to read, but he doesn't want to learn. He loves history and read-alouds, so we're doing more and more of that. Go figure. I didn't like history growing up, but I never knew it could be so much fun.